Jackson County, Illinois Genealogy
Jackson County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Jackson Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Jackson County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.jackson.il.us
- Created Date / Origin: January 10, 1816 from Johnson County and Randolph County
- County Seat: Murphysboro (prior county seats was House of Nathan Davis on Big Muddy River from 1816–1817, Brownsville from 1817–1843)
- Named After: Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), seventh President of the United States, United States Senator from Tennessee, and general in the War of 1812
- Bordering Counties: Perry County (north), Franklin County (northeast), Williamson County (east), Union County (southeast), Perry County, MO (west), Randolph County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Ava, Campbell Hill, Carbondale, De Soto, Dowell, Elkville, Gorham, Grand Tower, Makanda, Murphysboro, Vergennes
- Townships: Levan, Kinkaid, Elk, Fountain Bluff, Grand Tower, Bradley, Carbondale, DeSoto, Degognia, Pomona, Ora, Makanda, Murphysboro, Somerset, Sand Ridge, Vergennes
Jackson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Illinois Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County Historical Society Headquarters, 1616 Edith Street in Murphysboro, Illinois 62966 Phone: 618-684-6989
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Special Collections, Morris Library – 6632, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6632; 618-453-3040
- Jackson County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jackson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jackson County
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Jackson County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on June 10, 1843
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1001 Walnut St., Murphysboro, IL 62966
- Jackson County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (618) 687-7360
- Marriage Records: 1843
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1814
- Jackson County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (618) 687-7300
- Probate Records: 1840
- Court Records: 1843
- Jackson County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Jackson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Jackson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Jackson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jackson Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. IL Census Records
Jackson Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. IL General and History Websites
Jackson Co. IL Military Records
Jackson Co. IL Schools & Directories