Jefferson County, Illinois Genealogy
Jefferson County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Jefferson Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Jefferson County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.jeffil.us
- Created Date / Origin: March 26, 1819 from Edwards County and White County
- County Seat: Mount Vernon
- Named After: Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), third President of the United States, second Vice President of the United States, Governor of Virginia, and one of the foremost Founding Fathers of the United States
- Bordering Counties: Marion County (north), Wayne County (northeast), Hamilton County (southeast), Franklin County (south), Perry County (southwest), Washington County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Centralia, Mount Vernon, Nason, Belle Rive, Bluford, Bonnie, Dix, Ina, Waltonville, Woodlawn
- Townships: Field, Farrington, Elk Prairie, Grand Prairie, Blissville, Bald Hill, Casner, Dodds, Pendleton, McClellan, Moore’s Prairie, Mt. Vernon, Spring Garden, Shiloh, Rome, Webber
Jefferson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Illinois Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, 101 S. Seventh St, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864-4187
- Mt. Vernon Genealogical Society, 101 S. Seventh, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Special Collections, Morris Library – 6632, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6632; 618-453-3040
- Jefferson County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Jefferson County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 S. 10th St., Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
- Jefferson County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 618-244-8020
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1816
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-244-8007
- Probate Records: 1820
- Court Records: 1819
- Jefferson County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Illinois Historical Records
- Databases include Illinois Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Illinois Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Illinois Voter Lists & Census Records; Illinois Immigration & Emigration Records; Illinois Obituary Records; Illinois Military Records; Illinois Family Tree Records; Illinois Pictures; Illinois Stories, Memories & Histories; Illinois Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Jefferson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Jefferson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Jefferson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jefferson Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. IL Census Records
Jefferson Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. IL General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. IL Military Records
Jefferson Co. IL Schools & Directories