Lake County, Illinois Genealogy
Lake County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Lake Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Lake County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.lakecountyil.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1839 from McHenry County
- County Seat: Waukegan was originally named Little Fort until 1849 (prior county seats was Burlington from 1839–1841)
- Named After: Lake Michigan
- Bordering Counties: Kenosha County, WI (north), Allegan County, MI (northeast), Van Buren County, MI (east), Berrien County, MI (southeast), Cook County (south), McHenry County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Waukegan, North Chicago, Highland Park, Zion, Lake Forest, Park City, Highwood, Buffalo Grove, Mundelein, Gurnee, Round Lake Beach, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Grayslake, Deerfield, Lake Zurich, Lindenhurst, Barrington, Beach Park, Wauconda, Fox Lake, Antioch, Island Lake, Long Grove, Winthrop Harbor, Lincolnshire, Lake Bluff, Round Lake Park, Hawthorn Woods, Lake Villa, Round Lake, Fox River Grove, Lake Barrington, Barrington Hills, Riverwoods, Green Oaks, Kildeer, Deer Park, Wadsworth, North Barrington, Lakemoor, Hainesville, Bannockburn, Third Lake, Round Lake Heights, Tower Lakes, Port Barrington, Mettawa, Old Mill Creek, Indian Creek, Volo
- Townships: Libertyville, Lake Villa, Ela, Fremont, Grant, Benton, Antioch, Avon, Cuba, Moraine, Newport, Shields, Vernon, West Deerfield, Warren, Waukegan, Wauconda, Zion
Lake County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lake County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Illinois Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lake County History Archives, 27277 N Forest Preserve Rd, Wauconda, IL 60084; 847-968-3381 (phone)
- Barrington Area Historical Society, 212 West Main Street, Barrington, Illinois 60010-3011; 847.381.1730
- Lake County Genealogical Society, PO Box 998, Mundelein, IL 60060-4534
- Lakes Region Historical Society and Museum, 817 N. Main, PO Box 240, Antioch, IL 60003
- Warren Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 84, Gurnee, IL 60031-0084; (847) 263-9540
- Waukegan Historical Society, Bowen Park, 1917 N. Sheridan Rd., Waukegan, IL 60087 (847) 336-1859
- Zion Genealogical Society, 2400 Gabriel Ave, Zion, IL 60099
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Lake County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lake County
- Lake County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lake County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lake County
Lake County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Lake County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Lake County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Lake County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Lake County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 18 N. County St., Waukegan, IL 60085
- Lake County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 847-377-2400
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Lake County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 847-377-2575
- Land Records:1839
- Lake County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 847-377-3380
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1840
- Lake County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Illinois Historical Records
- Databases include Illinois Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Illinois Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Illinois Voter Lists & Census Records; Illinois Immigration & Emigration Records; Illinois Obituary Records; Illinois Military Records; Illinois Family Tree Records; Illinois Pictures; Illinois Stories, Memories & Histories; Illinois Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lake County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lake County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Lake County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lake Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lake Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lake Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lake Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lake Co. IL Census Records
Lake Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lake Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Lake Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lake Co. IL General and History Websites
Lake Co. IL Military Records
Lake Co. IL Schools & Directories