Mercer County, Illinois Genealogy
Mercer County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Mercer Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Mercer County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.mercercountyil.org/
- Created Date / Origin: January 13, 1825 from unorganized land
- County Seat: Aledo (prior county seats was New Boston from 1835–1837, Millersburg from 1837–1847, Keithsburg from 1847–1857)
- Named After: Hugh Mercer (1726-1777), British officer in the Seven Years' War and general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Rock Island County (north), Henry County (east), Knox County (southeast), Henderson County (south), Warren County (south), Des Moines County, IA (southwest), Louisa County, IA (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Aledo, Alexis, Boden, Burgess, Cable, Eliza, Gilchrist, Hamlet, Joy, Keithsburg, Mannon, Marston, Matherville, Millersburg, New Boston, New Windsor, North Henderson, Norwood, Petersville, Preemption, Reynolds, Seaton, Shale City, Sherrard, Sugar Grove, Swedona, Viola, Wanlock, Windsor
- Townships: Keithsburg, Eliza, Greene, Abington, Duncan, Preemption, Perryton, Ohio Grove, North Henderson, Mercer, Millersburg, New Boston, Rivoli, Richland Grove, Suez
Mercer County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mercer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Illinois Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mercer County Historical Society & Essley-Noble Museum, 1406 SE 2nd Ave. Aledo, IL. 61231
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Mercer County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mercer County
- Mercer County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mercer County
- USGenWeb Archives for Mercer County
Mercer County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Mercer County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Mercer County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Mercer County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Mercer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Mercer County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (309) 582-7021
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1834
- Mercer County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 309-582-7122
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1836
- Mercer County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Illinois Historical Records
- Databases include Illinois Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Illinois Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Illinois Voter Lists & Census Records; Illinois Immigration & Emigration Records; Illinois Obituary Records; Illinois Military Records; Illinois Family Tree Records; Illinois Pictures; Illinois Stories, Memories & Histories; Illinois Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Mercer County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Mercer County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Mercer County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Mercer Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mercer Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mercer Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mercer Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mercer Co. IL Census Records
Mercer Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mercer Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Mercer Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mercer Co. IL General and History Websites
Mercer Co. IL Military Records
Mercer Co. IL Schools & Directories