Montgomery County, Illinois Genealogy
Montgomery County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Montgomery Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Montgomery County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.montgomeryco.com
- Created Date / Origin: February 21, 1821 from Bond County and Madison County
- County Seat: Hillsboro (prior county seats was Hamilton—Designated but never established from 1821–1823)
- Named After: Gen. Richard Montgomery (1738-1775), brigadier-general in the Continental Army who led the unsuccessful invasion of Canada
- Bordering Counties: Sangamon County (north), Shelby County (northeast), Christian County (northeast), Fayette County (southeast), Bond County (south), Madison County (southwest), Macoupin County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Butler, Coalton, Coffeen, Donnellson, Farmersville, Fillmore, Harvel, Hillsboro, Irving, Litchfield, Nokomis, Ohlman, Panama, Raymond, Schram City, Taylor Springs, Waggoner, Walshville, Wenonah, Witt
- Townships: Hillsboro, Harvel, Irving, Fillmore, East Fork, Grisham, Bois D’Arc, Audubon, Butler Grove, Raymond, Pitman, North Litchfield, Nokomis, South Litchfield, South Fillmore, Rountree, Walshville, Witt, Zanesville
Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Illinois Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County Historical Society, 305 S. Broad St, Hillsboro, IL 62049
- Montgomery County Genealogical Society, 305 South Broad Street, Hillsboro, IL 62049
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Montgomery County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
- USGenWeb Archives for Montgomery County
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Montgomery County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Montgomery County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: #1 Courthouse Square, Hillsboro, IL 62049
- Montgomery County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-532-9530
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Birth & Death Records: 1862 / 1877
- Land Records: 1819
- Montgomery County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-532-9546
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1821
- Montgomery County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Montgomery County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Montgomery County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Montgomery County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Montgomery Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. IL Census Records
Montgomery Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. IL General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. IL Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Links for Illinois
- Montgomery County Illinois Veterans (history.montgomeryco.com) A database of Veteran's names from Montgomery County Illinois. Including World War One, World War Two and the Vietnam War.
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Montgomery County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Montgomery Co. IL Schools & Directories